General Enrollment Questions


Does enrolling my child in your school satisfy Florida's compulsory attendance requirement?

Yes. Enrollment at Aspiring Heights Academy legally meets the compulsory attendance laws of Florida. Aspiring Heights Academy is a home-based, non-public school that is registered with the Florida Department of Education and offers a private school "umbrella" option to families choosing to educate their children at home. Learn More

Does it matter what county we live in to enroll in your school?

No. Our school serves families statewide.

What services does your school offer?

Standard Enrollment includes record keeping services, free Educator and Student identification cards, and optional FLVS access. Our High School Diploma Program includes the above plus transcripts, diplomas, possible dual enrollment opportunities, and assistance with Bright Futures scholarship applications. Learn More

Is your school accredited?

No. There is no state law requiring private schools to be accredited, and there is no state regulation of school accrediting agencies. 

When can I enroll my children in your school?

Enrollment is open year-round.

May I register for the upcoming school year early?

Yes. If you would like to start you school year on a specific date, include a note with your preferred start date under the Comments section on your enrollment form. This must be a future date. Note: We cannot enroll a student without the required health records.

How long does the enrollment process take?

Enrollments are processed Monday through Friday within two business days (excluding Saturday) of receipt of the required documentation and payment. We offer expedited services (same day and Saturday enrollments) for an additional fee. Enrollment documents received on Thursday may not be processed until the following Monday.

How do we enroll?

Just mail us the required documentation and payment. We will send you a confirmation email notifying you of your child's enrollment and enrollment date.

How much does it cost?

We keep our enrollment fees at a minimum as our way of supporting home educators. Our standard enrollment (Grades K–12) fee is $35 per student. Our optional High School Diploma Program (Grades 9–12) fee depends on the student's grade level at time of enrollment. Annual renewal fees are $25 for students enrolled in our standard program and $75 for students enrolled in our diploma program. Learn More

Will my child be eligible to receive a K-12 state scholarship?

No. Aspiring Heights Academy does not participate in the any K-12 scholarship programs. (i.e., McKay, Florida Tax Credit, or Gardiner)

What information do you need?

The Florida Department of Education requires all private schools to keep a photocopy of your child's birth certificate, your child's school entry health exam (dated within one year of enrollment), and your child's immunization certificate.  You will also need to complete our enrollment application form. You may provide us with a letter of objection in lieu of the school entry health exam and/or immunization certificate. If you are enrolling your child in our High School Diploma Program, we also need copies of your child's high school transcripts (if any) and a course plan for the current/upcoming school year. Learn More

I cannot find my child's birth certificate. Can I send something else?

If you do not have your child's birth certificate, we will also accept the following:

(1) A duly attested transcript of a certificate of baptism showing the date of birth and place of baptism of your child, accompanied by an affidavit sworn to by you;
(2) An insurance policy on your child’s life that has been in force for at least 2 years;
(3) A bona fide contemporary religious record of your child’s birth accompanied by an affidavit sworn to by you; or
(4) A passport or certificate of arrival in the United States showing the age of your child.

If you do not have any of the above, and your child was born in Florida, you can request your child's birth record from the Florida Department of Health. If your child was born in a different state, you can find out where to write for vital records at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

If we're educating our children at home, why do you need health exams and immunization certificates?

Private schools are required to have this information pursuant to Florida Statute 1003.22.

My child's immunizations were administered in another state. Can I just send you the records from there?

No. If you recently moved to Florida from another state, you must have your child's vaccination history transferred to Florida's Form DH 680, Certification of Immunization. This form is completed by County Health Departments and private healthcare providers. Please read our article on vaccines and immunizations for more information about Florida's immunization requirements.

What about my child's prior school records?

Unless you are enrolling your child in our diploma program, we do not need your child's previous school's records. However, if you would like us to request your child's records, and your child's previous school does not have a form for you to complete, you will need to mail us a Student Records Request and Authorization form. We must have the original, signed form.

How secure are my children's school records and personal information?

Very! We take the security of your and your children's personal information seriously. Our students' permanent school records are stored in locked, fire-proof file cabinets, and documents containing obsolete personal information are shredded and disposed of safely. Additionally, we do not use outside sources to store personal information.

Do I have to maintain a school portfolio?

No. Parents are not required to keep a portfolio. We do recommend you keep a portfolio, though, especially throughout your child's high school years. Some colleges and universities require applicants who complete a home school program or graduate from a non-accredited high school to submit portfolios to be considered for admission.

What kinds of records will I have to keep?

The only record keeping we require is attendance. You must keep records that document your child's absence or attendance for each school day of the year and show a regular school attendance of at least 180 days for each school year. Learn More

Will my child have to take the FCAT or End-of-Course assessments?

No. Students are not required to take the FCAT or any other form of state standardized testing, including End-of-Course (EOC) assessments. Your child may participate in EOC assessments, if desired, and there are certain circumstances in which your child should participate. Learn More

How is my child evaluated?

We do not provide evaluations or require that parents have their children evaluated when enrolled in our school. In lieu of annual evaluations, standardized testing, or portfolio reviews, you are required to keep attendance records.

Do you provide curriculum?

You are responsible for your child's curriculum and the implementation of your child's education. We provide middle and high school curriculum to our students through our articulation agreement with Florida Virtual School (FLVS), however, enrolling in courses at FLVS is optional (see next question). We do not require that you use any specific curriculum or teaching method.

Can my child take courses at Florida Virtual School?

Yes. Middle and high school students may take courses at Florida Virtual School (FLVS) when enrolled in our school. Learn More

Will my child be able to participate in public school sports?

No. Students enrolled at Aspiring Heights Academy are not eligible to participate in interscholastic activities at their zoned public schools.

What if I enroll my children mid-year and then later decide that I'd prefer them to be on a typical public school schedule?

As long as your children have maintained regular attendance during their current school term with us, you are welcome to re-enroll them to establish a new school term. Just send us your attendance records and re-enrollment forms specifying the date you would like to begin the next school term. This date must be a future date. New! You must re-enroll with each grade level placement.

What do I do when my child is ready to change grade levels?

New! You must re-enroll with each grade level placement. Include your attendance record to date and a note indicating the date your child will be ready to change grade levels. (This must be a future date.) Your child must have maintained regular attendance during his or her current school term to be eligible for re-enrollment.